USS U.S. GRANT ALUMNI ASSOCIATION BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING OCTOBER 11, 2013 CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA
1. The meeting was called to order with the following in attendance: Ed Farris, John Hnizdil, Mike Arterburn, Ray Lomberk, Ron Lischak, Larry Jordan, Ruth Jordan, Bob Arias & Wayne Orrison.
2. The minutes from the 2011 Biennial Board Meeting were reviewed and approved.
3. The finance report was read and summarized for 2011, 2012. Preliminary 2013 year-end projections were reported. Final figures will be completed after the reunion concludes and all receipts and expenses have been received.
4. Membership Dues were discussed with the following Board decision: a) Dues are waived for members joining after December 31, 2011 extending their renewal date to December 31, 2015.
Members joining on or prior to December 31, 2011 will need to pay dues of $10.00 for the next two years with an expiration date of December 31, 2015.
b) A Lifetime Membership Option was established at $50.00 per member. New and renewing Members may make this option.
5. The 2015 Land Based Reunion Location was selected by the Board. San Diego, California was selected as the site for the Land Based Reunion with the Sea Cruise port to be determined. San Diego and the Port of Los Angeles were named as possibilities.
6. Bob Arias was appointed as the 2015 Reunion Coordinator. Ruth Jordan was appointed as the Reunion Coordinator Assistant.
7. All Association Officers agreed to continue in their current roles for the next two years. The membership will vote to approve their postitions.
President – Ed Farris. Vice President – John Hnizdil. Treasurer – Ron Lischak. Secretary – Wayne Orrison 8. Mike Arterburn was nominated for the open position as Association Historian. His nomination will be presented to the membership for approval.
9. Mike Arterburn agreed to remain as the Webmaster. The Board will begin looking for other members or options as a backup or replacement.
10. Larry Jordan indicated that an Association Lapel Pin was something he had been looking into and would have something to present in the next 3 to 6 months. 11. The Board decided that future Remembrance Ceremonies would only list the names of shipmates that have passed on eternal patrol since the previous ceremony.
12. The Board agreed to design and provide a Surviving Spouse Letter to the surviving spouse or appropriate family member of a shipmate that the Board has learned has passed on Eternal Patrol. The letter would be sent for all new shipmate deaths the Board becomes aware of and will add their name to the next Remembrance Ceremony. The Surviving Spouse Letter would contain a Condolence letter, a copy of the Ceremony Remembrance Program and Remembrance List.
13. President Ed Farris will reissue new membership cards. Cards will be sent to members that have joined since January 1, 2011 or have renewed their membership for another two years expiring December 31, 2015. He will also send out Lifetime Membership cards to members opting for Lifetime Membership. Cards will be sent out monthly as reported from the Membership Chairman, John Hnizdil.
14. The Board discussed the desire to sponsor a Grant Association memorial/stone/plaque at an appropriate site. An example was the NavalMemorialNational Monument in WashingtonDC or an established memorial site as was observed at Patriot's Point near Charleston, South Carolina where the 2013 Remembrance Ceremony was conducted.
15. After discussion, the Board decided it would recognize an effort to establish a Grant Ladies Auxiliary as stated in the Association By-laws. It was decided that the proposal for the creation of an adjunct organization would have to come from the women of the Grant, should they be interested.
16. The Board discussed modifications to the Association By-Laws which will be presented to the membership for approval.
October 9, 2011 Meeting
USS U.S. GRANT ALUMNI ASSOCIATION MEMBERSHIP MEETING OCTOBER 9, 2011 GALVESTON, TEXAS
The USS U.S. Grant Reunion Dinner Membership Meeting of October 9, 2011, was held at the
Casa del Mar resort on Galveston Island in Texas at the Reunion Dinner.
The meeting was called to order and President Farris presented the following decisions made by the Board of Directors at their October 8, 2011 meeting to the assembled membership.
1.The next reunion will be held in the fall of 2013 in Charleston, South Carolina.
2.An Auxiliary membership will be explored for dependents that wish to have a role in supporting the mission of the Association.
| 3.The Association will amend the by-laws to permit the Board of Directors to suspend dues payments, thus extending membership expiration dates, when the Treasurer advises there is positive stable financial situation.
4.Michael Arterburn and Larry Jordan will create an appropriate remembrance item and message for the survivors of shipmates who are called to Eternal Patrol. A motion was made and passed unanimously by the membership on the above items. President Farris submitted the following candidates for the 2012-2013 term in office:
2.Vice PresidentJohn Hnizdil
The floor was opened for additional nominations.Being none, a motion to elect the above candidates was made and passed by the membership unanimously.
President Farris also reviewed the following Board Actions: 1.The Treasurer’s Report will be finalized after all the receiptshave been entered and accounted for at the end of the year and posted on the web site.
2. Creating a Life-time membership was tabled for further review.
3.Mike Arterburn will continue to serve as the Webmaster.
4.Larry Jordan will be the Chairman for the 2013 Reunion. His committee will consist of Ray Lomberk and Jim Sweany.
5.$154.00 was raised in an auction of USS Grant ball hats donated by Arnette Arias, wife of shipmate Robert Arias.
A question was raised about bringing dependents into full membership.Treasurer Ron Lischak explained in order to maintain the Association’s 501(c)(19)charter status, the membership must be maintained at a 95% military level.
President Farris asked the membership to consider volunteering to serve on a committee.
The Association presented USS Grant Jackets to Ruth Jordan, Larry Jordan and Ray Lomberk in appreciation of their efforts to plan and implement a successful 2011 USS U.S. Grant Reunion.
Captain Engle’s wife made appreciative comments in support ofthe wives and dependents and the appropriateness of a formal auxiliary group.
A motion was made and seconded and passed to adjourn the meeting.
The meeting was followed by some appreciation awards to Ed Farris, Ray Lomberk, Jim Sweany, John Hnizdil, Mike Arterburn and Ron Lischak for their efforts in support of the Association. Larry Taaca was recognized for his long distance travel from Hawaii and his attendance at all six Grant Reunions.
Approximately 78 Shipmates, Spouses, Relatives, and Friends
The meeting was called to order by Ron Lischak at 8:30 PM.
Ron briefed the attendees on the progress made by the association over the past year, including a review of the finances of the organization. Ron also noted that the association has applied for 501.c.19 Tax exempt status with the IRS.
Ron advised the members that the association’s by-laws required the election of Vice President and Historian for a new 2-year term and appointment of a Webmaster.
Nominations were opened for these positions. The following members were nominated, seconded, and unanimously voted into office:
Vice President – John Hnizdil Historian – Rob Hoff
The membership then nominated, seconded and unanimously voted to have Mike Arterburn serve as our new Webmaster.
The meeting was called to order by Ed Farris at . The attendees unanimously agreed to form a formal association to succeed the informal association initiated and single-handedly managed by Mike Arteburn for the past several years.
An initial slate of officers was discussed. Nominations came from within the attendees, were seconded, and were approved unanimously. The newly elected officers are: President – Ed Farris
Vice President – Jeremy Irish
Secretary/Treasurer – Ron Lischak
Historian – Richard Lowry
Ed Farris then appointed Frank Welker to serve as the association’s Webmaster and Larry Jordan to serve as the Chairman of the Reunion Committee.
Having been duly elected and appointed, the new Board of Directors is hereby established, consisting of the office holders of President, Vice President, Secretary/Treasurer, Historian, Webmaster, and Chairman of the Reunion Committee.
The attendees then discussed the proposed association’s bylaws. Attendees suggested several changes to the bylaws. Ed Farris accepted the action to incorporate the suggested changes and distribute a revised set of bylaws to the BOD for their review and approval. It was agreed by the attendees that final approval of the bylaws could be achieved through distribution of emailed versions until all were satisfied with the final draft.
Ron Lischak and Jim Sweany discussed the current assets of the association and Jim said he would forward the assets which amount to approximately $2,800 to Ron via a personal check as the funds have been kept in his personal account. Ron took an action to establish a business account in the name of the association at a local bank upon receipt of the funds.
Frank Welker stated he spent $115 to establish a website and domain name for the association. Ron agreed to pay the invoice when it is received and funds have been transferred.
Ed Farris solicited volunteers to staff the Reunion and Membership Committees. He appointed the following volunteers:
Reunion Committee: Larry Jordan, Chairman
Jeremy Irish, Chairman
There were additional discussions regarding the website, upcoming reunion, and frequency of meetings.
Action Item List:
Ed Farris; contact Mike Arteburn regarding the Ships Log and a potential list of shipmates not included on the website.
Ed Farris; Forward invoice from Frank Welker to Ron Lischak for payment.
Ed Farris; make contact with shipmates signifying an interest in helping the association. Possible candidates for committee membership.
Ron Lischak; propose language to be included in bylaws regarding safety of association funds, i.e., signature requirements, funds transfer upon termination of Treasurer, etc.
Ron Lischak; upon receipt of proper invoice and transfer of funds, Pay Frank Welker for cost incurred on website.
Ron Lischak; publish minutes of meeting.
Larry Jordan; Establish survey to send to association members on site and preferences for 2009 reunion.
Larry Jordan; Remit insurance refund check to Ron Lischak for deposit in association account pending decision on final disposition of funds by the BOD.
The meeting adjourned approximately
Ron Lischak, Secretary/Treasurer
This web site is published by the USS Ulysses S. Grant Alumni Association, a tax-exempt organization under 501(c)(19) of the IRS Code. All rights reserved. Copyright 2009