We sent the ‘Registration, Admission and Transportation (RAT)’ form today to all attendees and we were not ‘specific’ on what to put on your check or money order as the ‘payee’.
Make your check/money order out to the ‘USS Grant Alumni Assoc.’
We ONLY accept mailed-in checks/money orders, along with the RAT form, as we must have the completed forms for head-count and final planning purposes.
FYI: We have checked with the New Orleans Convention & Visitor Bureau and were told they do NOT have an ‘excess’ water problem due to the hurricane. We confirmed it with the hotel.
-- 2017 USS GRANT REUNION SHIPMATES AND GUESTS --
Your IMMEDIATE attention is needed for the attached document!!!!
The attached document is the ‘Registration, Admission and Transportation (RAT)’ form. This completed form AND payment MUST be received NO LATER THAN September 20th. This form has been used at every USS Grant reunion to determine several important numbers:
1. The number of persons who will be at the reunion daily to adequately supply the ‘refreshments’ in the Grant Hospitality Room (GHR).
2. The number of persons who could be at each of the daily continental breakfasts in the GHR to provide an adequate supply of food for the shipmates/guests at the breakfasts.
3. The number of persons who will attend the ‘Grant Pizza Party’ to insure we are providing an adequate supply of pizza, salad and dessert for the event.
4. The number of persons who will attend the ‘Grant Lunch & Show’ to properly coordinate the event with the staff at the National WW2 Museum.
5. The number of persons who will attend each of the Grant Group activities to arrange for adequate transportation to and from the events.
6. The number of persons who will use the ‘reunion-hotel-to-cruise’ bus to get to the cruise ship and the ‘cruise-to-airport’ bus after the cruise. We need this to arrange for adequately sized busses.
To complete the RAT form, first print the RAT form. Then, on the form, please 1) indicate the number of persons in your party on the date they will arrive at the reunion and the total Registration fee for your party; 2) indicate the number of persons in your party who will attend each of the listed Grant Group activities and the total Admission fee for each of the selected activities; 3) indicate the number of persons in your party who will use Transportation provided by the bus from the reunion hotel to the cruise and from the cruise to the airport after the cruise; 4) indicate the number of persons in your party who plan to attend the ‘no-cost’ activities marked with (#), as we need these numbers for planning purposes and finally, 5) determine the ‘TOTAL DUE’ and send a check or money order for that amount, including the RAT form, to the address listed on the form.
We CANNOT make changes in New Orleans. The completed RAT form is what we use to arrange the transportation and to make the contracted payments for each of the activities. ALL of the Grant Group activities listed on the RAT form require us to make a pre-payment to the activity by 9/21 to guarantee our negotiated reduced price.
1000 (About) Begin the ‘Destrehan Plantation’tour. [For shipmates/guests signed-up for only the PlantationTour and for shipmates/guests signed-up for both the Plantation & Swamp tours.]
1030 (About) Begin the morning‘Swamp Tour’. [For shipmates/guests signed-up for only the Swamp Tour.]
1230 (About) Bus returns attendees to hotel who only toured Destrehan or the morning Swamp Tour.
1300 (About) Begin the afternoon‘Swamp Tour’.[For shipmates/guests signed up for both the Plantation & Swamp Tours.]
1450 (About) Bus departs afternoon ‘Swamp Tour’ for the hotel.[ETA: 1530-1600]
1800-1845 ‘Grant Remembrance’in the GHR. This is a solemn ceremony to recognize our shipmates
who have departed on their final patrol. ALL shipmates/guests are encouraged to attend
this recognition ceremony.
1900-2030 ‘Grant Pizza Party’ in the GHR. (Assorted Pizza/Salad/Dessert/Beverages)
1900-2200 Pick-up ‘National WW2 Museum’ $ticketsat ‘Registration’ table in GHR.
2000 (About) Association Board meeting in the Bourbon Room.
2300 GHR closes.
[Note: All activities marked $ indicate pre-payment
FRIDAY 10/13[Registration fee covers ALL GHR refreshments and Continental Breakfast.]
[Note! Due to the New Orleans location of this reunion, there willNOT be a ‘Grant Dinner’ on SATURDAY evening. TODAY’S ‘USS Grant Reunion Lunch & Show’ REPLACES the usual Saturday night ‘Grant Dinner’.]
0730-0900GHR Opens. Continental Breakfast in the GHR.
0730-0900 Pick-up ‘National WW2 Museum’$ tickets in GHR.
0900 Group #1 for ‘Mardi Gras World’$ tour [www.mardigrasworld.com] departs from the hotel.
Returns to hotel OR to ‘National WW2 Museum’ at about 1115.
0930 Begin shuttle bus runs between the hotel and ‘National WW2 Museum’. The last
departure from the Museum will be at about 1515. [The ‘St. Charles’ street car $can
also be used to/from the WW2 Museum at our hotel stop and the ‘Lee Circle’ stop.]
0930 Individuals begin ‘National WW2 Museum’ $visits.
1145 ‘USS Grant Reunion Lunch’$begins in the WW2 MUSEUM‘Stage Door Canteen’.
(MUSEUM admission fee is NOTrequired for ’USS Grant Reunion Lunch and Show’.)
1245 (About) ‘USS Grant Reunion Show’ $ begins in the ‘Stage Door Canteen’ afterlunch.
A paid Museum admission fee is NOT required to attend the ‘USS Grant Reunion Lunch & Show’ $. Persons who paid the Association Treasurer (in September) to attend the ‘USS Grant Lunch & Show’ will have a letter “L” on their badge.
SATURDAY10/14[Registration fee covers ALL GHR refreshments and the Continental Breakfast.]
[NOTE: Due to the location of this reunion, there will NOT be a usual ‘Grant Dinner’ on Saturday night. The ‘Grant Lunch and Show’ on Friday replaced the usual ‘Grant Dinner’.]
0730-0900GHR Opens. Continental Breakfast in the GHR.
0900 Group #3 for ‘Mardi Gras World’ $tour departs from hotel. Returns at about 1045.
1000 “??? Cruising Questions ???”Q&A session in the GHR for questions about cruising.
[Conducted by Reunion Committee members and frequent cruisers.]
1100 Group #4 for ‘Mardi Gras World’ $tour departs from hotel. Returns at about 1245.
1330-1630 ‘Creole Queen’ $riverboat trip to the site of ‘Battle of New Orleans’ during the ‘War of 1812’. [creolequeen.com/chalmette-battlefield-river-cruise.html]
1200-2300 Sign-up in the GHR for the ‘Cruise Terminal Bus’ $.
2300 GHR Closes.
SUNDAY 10/15[Registration fee covers GHR refreshments and Continental Breakfast.]
0730-0900GHR Opens. Continental Breakfast in GHR.
0930-1100 Hotel ‘Check-Out’. GHR remains OPEN.
1030 First ‘Cruise Terminal Bus’ $departs hotel.
1200 Last ‘Cruise Terminal Bus’ $ departs hotel.
GHR closes. The2017 USS U.S. Grant LAND Reunionends.
2017 'LAND' REUNION UPDATE
HOW TO BOOK A HOTEL ROOM FOR THE ‘LAND’ REUNION
To get hotel information for the ‘Land’ reunion, contact either Larry Jordan (940-569-8145/580-550-8270) or Ruth Jordan (940-569-8145/936-581-4810). Larry’s e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org and Ruth’s e-mail is email@example.com.
SHIPMATE QUESTIONS ABOUT 2017 REUNION
Several shipmates who have NOT previously attended a Grant reunion have asked some pertinent questions about the upcoming 2017 Grant reunion in New Orleans, Louisiana.
1. Can my spouse attend and participate in the reunion activities?YES. All Grant activities are scheduled with the shipmate and spouse in mind. In fact, we encourage the shipmates to use the Grant reunions as a vacation, family get-together or get-together for immediate friends. Shipmates' parents, brothers, sisters, in-laws, personal friends, etc., have attended most of our reunions. In Charleston, a group of five plank owner radiomen used the Grant reunion for their personal mini-reunion to get together after more than 50 years.
2. Can I ONLY attend the 'Land' reunion?YES. Shipmates and their guests can attend the 'Land', the 'Cruise' or both parts of the reunion. As of 2/20/17, we have more than 160 shipmates/guests who will attend at least one day of the 'Land' reunion and 114 shipmates/guests who have booked staterooms for the 'Cruise' reunion.
3. What is the cost for EACH person attending the 'Land' reunion? The DAILY registration fee has NOT been determined at this time but the total per person registration fee will be determined by the day the shipmate/guest arrives. Based upon previous reunions, the DAILY rate will probably be $12-$15 per day per person. As examples, a person arriving the FIRST day (Wednesday) will pay a $48-$60 registration fee and a person arriving on the LAST day (Saturday) will pay a $12-$15 registration fee. The registration fee covers the cost of the MidRats (Wednesday), the DAILY continental breakfasts, the Grant Pizza Party (Thursday), ALL the daily liquid and food refreshments in the Grant Hospitality Room (GHR) between 0800-2300 and the hotel's charge for servicing the GHR. The GHR will have an open bar with beer, wine, liquor, soft drinks, coffee, tea, snacks, selected sandwich fixings, soup, etc., which are ALL coveredby the registration fee.
[Usually, a $100 bill will cover the 'Grant Lunch & Show' ($25), ONE Grant group activity and ALL four daily Grant Hospitality Room registration costs for the entire reunion for each person. Remember --- the GHR costs include all GHR 'refreshments'/food, MidRats, Pizza Party and daily continental breakfast.]
4. What is the cost of the Grant group activities listed on the POD?First, there is NO cost if you DO NOT participate in the activities, as they are totally optional. The cost for each of the activities, including admission and necessary transportation, has been negotiated and in most cases is significantly less than the individual cost of the activities. Check out the activity websites listed on the POD to determine if they are of interest to you. Final cost for each of the activities will be determined prior to September. Activities usually average $20-$30 for each person.
5. When and how do I pay the registration fee, 'Grant Lunch & Show', Grant group activity cost, etc.?ABOUTSeptember 1, 2017, a Registration Form will be posted on the Grant website. The form will list the four possible arrival dates (Wednesday through Saturday), all the optional Grant group activities from the POD, the 'Grant Lunch & Show', the hotel-to-cruise transportation (if used) and the cruise-to-airport transportation (if used). The cost of each will be listed. The shipmate completes the form, calculates the total cost and sends the form and check to the Association Treasurer. We must collectBEFORE the reunion as many of the negotiated activities require a pre-payment.
6. How do I book the cruise or a hotel room? For a 'Cruise' reunion booking, use the information listed in the 'USS Grant Reunions' and '2017New Orleans-Cruise' sections of the Grant website. To book a hotel room for the 'Land' reunion, contact either Larry Jordan (940-569-8145/580-550-8270) or Ruth Jordan (940-569-8145/936-581-4810) for information. Larry's e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org and Ruth's e-mail is email@example.com.
WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU AND YOUR GUESTS IN NEW ORLEANS NEXT OCTOBER!
2017 LAND REUNION (New Orleans)
Wednesday, October 11 @ 1630 to Sunday, October 15@ 1200
[Shipmates can make their hotel reservations NOW.]
2017 CRUISE REUNION (From New Orleans)
Sunday, October 15 @ 1600 to Sunday, October 22 @ 0800
The cruise will make port calls at the island of Roatan, Belize and Cozumel.
[Shipmates can make their reunion cruise reservations NOW.]
UPDATE: 84 shipmates, families and friends have booked their stateroom for this cruise. Don’t miss out on this fun time with your friends! Make a call soon to reserve your stateroom.
Your USS Ulysses S. Grant SSBN631 ‘Historians’ need your help.
The newly-appointed ‘Historians’ plan to write the ‘highlights’ of the history of the USS Ulysses S. Grant SSBN631 through archival information and stories from the shipmates. Current intentions are to have the ‘USS Ulysses S. Grant SSBN 631 History’ completed before the next reunion in October 2017 in New Orleans.
We will be contacting shipmates for information about her construction, her operations between overhauls, information on her overhauls and the de-commissioning crew.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
If you can contribute any information or stories about her operations, overhauls or decom please contact Larry Jordan (Gold/66-69) or Michael McHugh (Blue/87-90) for a telephone interview or --- send your information to either of them.
ALL of you have a wealth of information. Please share it with us --- and all the shipmates.
The USS ULYSSES S. GRANT ALUMNI ASSOCIATION is a fraternal organization of United States Navy Submariners who served aboard the nuclear powered fleet ballistic missile submarine USS Ulysses S. Grant (SSBN 631).The USS Ulysses S. Grant Alumni Association is the formal continuation of the USS Grant Forum established by Michael Arterburn.The primary purpose of the Association is to encourage and support theongoing communication and friendship among its members.The Association will maintain a sailing list and contact information of all shipmates, periodically issue newsletters and special bulletins and organize and host formal reunions for the benefit and camaraderie of its membership.
USS U.S. GRANT ALUMNI ASSOCIATION MEMBERSHIP DRIVE
MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS WERE SENT BY E-MAIL IF YOU DIDN'T GET ONE - WE DON'T HAVE YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS!