Several shipmates who have NOT previously attended a Grant reunion have asked some pertinent questions about the upcoming 2017 Grant reunion in New Orleans, Louisiana (NOLA).
1. Can my spouse attend and participate in the reunion activities?YES. All Grant activities are scheduled with the shipmate and spouse in mind. In fact, we encourage the shipmates to use the Grant reunions as a vacation, family get-together or get-together for immediate friends. Shipmates' parents, brothers, sisters, in-laws, personal friends, etc., have attended most of our reunions. In Charleston, a group of five plank owner radiomen used the Grant reunion for their personal mini-reunion to get together after more than 50 years.
2. Can I only attend the 'Land' reunion?YES. Shipmates and their guests can attend the 'Land', the 'Cruise' or both parts of the reunion. As of 10/1/16, we already have 84 people booked for the 'Cruise' reunion and all will attend at least one day of the 'Land' reunion. Not interested inthe 'Cruise' reunion? Then, how about a one-week vacation in NOLA? We have negotiated the 'Land' reunion room rate ($129) for the three days preceding and following the 'Land' reunion to provide the opportunity for shipmates/guests to have a one-week vacation in NOLA. The 'Land' reunion is scheduled from 1600 Wednesday, October 11th though 1200 Sunday, October 15th. Again, the "Land' reunion rate at the hotel will be honored for Sunday through Tuesday (October 8-10) and Sunday through Tuesday (October 15-17), so attendees can have a one-week vacation in NOLA, if they so choose.
3. What is the cost for EACH person attending the 'Land' reunion? The DAILY registration fee has NOT been determined at this time but the total fee per person will be determined by the day the shipmate/guest arrives. Based upon previous reunions, the DAILY rate will probably be $12-$15 per day per person. As examples, a person arriving the FIRST day (Wednesday) will pay a $48-$60 registration fee and a person arriving on the LAST day (Saturday) will pay a $12-$15 registration fee. The registration fee covers the cost of the MidRats (Wednesday), the DAILY continental breakfasts, the Grant Pizza Party (Thursday), ALL the daily liquid and food refreshments in the Grant Hospitality Room (GHR) between 0800-2300 and the hotel's charge for servicing the GHR. The GHR will have an open bar with beer, wine, liquor, soft drinks, coffee, tea, snacks, selected sandwich fixings, soup, etc., which are ALL coveredby the registration fee.
[Usually, a $100 bill will cover the Grant Lunch plus ONE Grant group activity and ALL four daily Grant Hospitality Room registration costs for the entire reunion for each person. Remember --- the GHR costs include all GHR 'refreshments'/food, MidRats, Pizza Party and daily continental breakfast.]
4. What is the cost of the Grant group activities listed on the POD? First, there is NO cost if you DO NOT participate in the activities, as they are totally optional. The cost for each of the activities, including admission and necessary transportation, has been negotiated and in most cases is significantly less than the individual cost of the activities. Check out the activity websites listed on the POD to determine if they are of interest to you. Final cost for each of the activities will be determined prior to September. Activities should average about $25 for each person.
5. When and how do I pay the registration fee, Grant Lunch cost, Grant group activity cost, etc.?ABOUTSeptember 1, 2017, a Registration Form will be posted on the Grant website. The form will list the four possible arrival dates, all the optional Grant group activities from the POD, the Grant Lunch and hotel-to-cruise transportation (if used). The cost of each will be listed. The shipmate completes the form, calculates the total cost and sends the form and check to the Association Treasurer. We must collect BEFORE the reunion as many of the negotiated activities require a pre-payment.
6. How do I book my hotel room or cruise? The instructions, rates and contact information are listed on the Grant website and in emails you might have received. Book your hotel room NOW. There is NO penalty for early cancellation.
7. How late can I cancel my hotel reservations for the 'Land' Reunion? You can cancel your hotel reservation up to 72-hours before your scheduled arrival date -- without penalty. We strongly recommend you book your room as soon as you decide to come, as the hotel only has about 140 rooms and later reservations will have less choice of room type.
WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU AND ALL YOUR GUESTS IN NEW ORLEANS NEXT OCTOBER!
Hopefully, this answers most of the questions. If not, do not hesitate to contact Larry Jordan at firstname.lastname@example.org or 940-569-8145.
2017 LAND REUNION (New Orleans)
Wednesday, October 11 @ 1630 to Sunday, October 15@ 1200
[Shipmates can make their hotel reservations NOW.]
2017 CRUISE REUNION (From New Orleans)
Sunday, October 15 @ 1600 to Sunday, October 22 @ 0800
The cruise will make port calls at the island of Roatan, Belize and Cozumel.
[Shipmates can make their reunion cruise reservations NOW.]
UPDATE: 84 shipmates, families and friends have booked their stateroom for this cruise. Don’t miss out on this fun time with your friends! Make a call soon to reserve your stateroom.
Your USS Ulysses S. Grant SSBN631 ‘Historians’ need your help.
The newly-appointed ‘Historians’ plan to write the ‘highlights’ of the history of the USS Ulysses S. Grant SSBN631 through archival information and stories from the shipmates. Current intentions are to have the ‘USS Ulysses S. Grant SSBN 631 History’ completed before the next reunion in October 2017 in New Orleans.
We will be contacting shipmates for information about her construction, her operations between overhauls, information on her overhauls and the de-commissioning crew.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
If you can contribute any information or stories about her operations, overhauls or decom please contact Larry Jordan (Gold/66-69) or Michael McHugh (Blue/87-90) for a telephone interview or --- send your information to either of them.
ALL of you have a wealth of information. Please share it with us --- and all the shipmates.
The USS ULYSSES S. GRANT ALUMNI ASSOCIATION is a fraternal organization of United States Navy Submariners who served aboard the nuclear powered fleet ballistic missile submarine USS Ulysses S. Grant (SSBN 631).The USS Ulysses S. Grant Alumni Association is the formal continuation of the USS Grant Forum established by Michael Arterburn.The primary purpose of the Association is to encourage and support theongoing communication and friendship among its members.The Association will maintain a sailing list and contact information of all shipmates, periodically issue newsletters and special bulletins and organize and host formal reunions for the benefit and camaraderie of its membership.
USS U.S. GRANT ALUMNI ASSOCIATION MEMBERSHIP DRIVE
MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS WERE SENT BY E-MAIL IF YOU DIDN'T GET ONE - WE DON'T HAVE YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS!